A NEW warning about dangerous furniture came from fire chiefs today.
West Yorkshire Chief Fire Officer Phil Toase is worried about furniture on offer at car boot sales.
He said much of it had come from Poland and failed to meet tough UK rules on fire safety.
The suites - which are shipped in by lorry - give off deadly fumes if they catch fire.
Mr Toase said that on one day, nine lorries filled with illegal furniture were seized at Dover,
He added: "The problem with this kind of stuff is that many of the distributors travel about.
"Once the furniture gets into the country it disappears without trace."
Martin Wood, the head of West Yorkshire Trading Standards, said a considerable number of dangerous items had already been seized in the county.
Many had false documents, claiming the chairs were safe.
Mr Wood added: "People are advised to buy upholstered furniture from reputable outlets.
"What may seem a bargain could prove costly."