THE finishing touches are now being put to one of Huddersfield's most imposing mill conversions.
But the future of Priestroyd Ironworks, in Firth Street, could have been very different had firefighters not managed to get a blaze there 26 years ago under control.
The fire started on a Saturday afternoon on October 29, 1977.
Flames were soon licking out of the windows of the top floor of the four-storey building, destroying the roof and the top storey.
And at one stage the Firth Street wall of the mill bulged out and looked as though it might collapse.
The mill was built in 1835 by Mr John Haigh, native of Huddersfield, and remained in the family.
It made wool opening and cleaning machinery and woollen and worsted carding sets of all kinds.
At one stage it looked as though the mill might be demolished but Kirklees Council asked for the building to be listed and it was saved.
Now the ironworks has been converted by Lanson Developments into luxury apartments and has been renamed 1535 The Melting Point - 1535ºC is the melting point of iron.
Mr Richard Brown, sales and marketing manager for Lanson Developments, the company behind the redevelopment, said interest in the flats remained very high.
The first residents have already moved in and phases one and two are completely sold out.
The finishing touches are currently being put to the outside. The gardens will be planted in spring.
A decision is now being awaited on planning permission for phase three, in which 65 one and two-bedroom apartments will be created over three floors.
Some of the ground floor apartments will also have gardens and patio areas.
And plans are being finalised for phase four, which will be a new 10-storey glass building within the former mill complex.
When complete, the complex will include a restaurant, bars and cafes, a swimming pool and gym.