A woman has been rescued from a house blaze in Moldgreen.
The 38-year-old woman had fallen asleep while cooking kebabs in her grill at her maisonette in Beaumont Avenue in the early hours of this morning and was lucky to wake up as the smoke alarm was broken.
A neighbour alerted firefighters to the blaze at 1.58am and four engines were sent out to tackle it but first had difficulty getting to her home due to badly parked cars.
They managed to unlock her door and rushed her out of the house to safety. She did not need hospital treatment.
The crew put out the grill fire which had not spread to other parts of the kitchen and ventilated the property.
Crew commander Chris Bell said: “The woman was extremely lucky considering the situation and I would like to use this opportunity to urge everyone to check that their smoke alarms are working every week.
“I would also ask for everyone to be careful of where they park to ensure that they do not get in the way of emergency vehicles.”