INTRUDERS sparked a blaze alert at a former car showroom.
They had stripped wire inside the Hepworth Honda building on Queen Street South, just outside Huddersfield town centre, and had been burning the coating off the stolen wire.
Some of the wire had been left smouldering inside the derelict building and the smoke sparked a fire alert just before 3.10pm yesterday.
Station Manager Rodger Binns, of Huddersfield fire station, said: “The fire had burned itself out after smouldering for several hours.
“ We used powerful fans to blow smoke out of the building.’’