THE cooking of a Sunday roast nearly led to disaster when it caught fire.
Firefighters were called to a house on King Street, in Lindley, at 11am yesterday by the frightened occupants after their kitchen filled with smoke.
The build-up of fat from a chicken being cooked had set the oven on fire.
They managed to douse the flames using a damp towel but two crews from Huddersfield fire station attended to deal with the smoke.
Firefighters then fitted some extra smoke detectors before visiting other properties on the street to offer fire safety checks.
Crew commander Steve Mosley said that although the fire had been successfully put out, he would normally advise people to leave their home and call the fire service.
For a free home fire safety check call West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 5874536.