Firefighters tackled a blaze which caused severe damage to a house in Newsome.

Fire crews were called to the terraced house in Malvern Road, at 1.10pm today but the fire could have been smouldering for several hours.

Next-door neighbour Rebecca Beeby, 23, noticed a “burning plastic” smell around 9.30am and called her father Gordon.

Mr Beeby headed over from Shipley and son Paul lifted the floorboards to find smoke.

Rebecca, who has a young son Coby, almost two, looked outside and saw flames coming from the back windows next door. She rushed out in her pyjamas and dialled 999.

A woman and her daughter, who live at the house, were out at the time. No-one was hurt.

The scene of the fire in Malvern Street
The scene of the fire in Malvern Street

Mr Beeby said: “My daughter thought she smelled something metallic or something burning. We knew it couldn’t be her house because it has all the smoke detectors after it was re-wired.

READ MORE: Fire crews battle to tackle blaze hitting three Paddock homes

“My son lifted the floorboards in the sitting room and there was smoke coming through.”

There was some smoke damage to Rebecca’s home.

Two fire engines from Huddersfield attended the blaze.

Watch commander Howard Young, of Huddersfield Fire Station, said the house was heavily smoke-logged when they arrived and firefighters went in with breathing apparatus.

The landing and bathroom were badly damaged by fire and the house was uninhabitable.

He said it was thought the fire was caused by an electrical fault in a plug to an appliance on the landing, possibly a computer or hi-fi.