FLAMING gas pipes sparked the evacuation of a block of flats in Dewsbury today.
Two crews from Dewsbury fire station were called to the drama at the two-storey building along Ashworth Road at 12.50am.
Two pipes were set on fire in an outbuilding adjoining the homes. The blaze was started deliberately.
While police cleared the building, firefighters put the blaze out.
Gas workers then capped the plastic pipes.
"It could have caused a massive explosion," said station officer Colin Brown.
Cardboard left in the small building had been set alight.
The flames then spread to the pipes.
No-one was injured in the drama.