FIREFIGHTERS are calling on people to do more to prevent fires in the home.
The plea is being made by West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service as it prepares to take part in National Fire Safety Week. Events to drum home the message will be staged all this week.
The service's top five tips are:
* Switch off electrical appliances at night.
* Don't smoke in bed or when at risk of falling asleep.
* Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
* Check your smoke alarm once a week.
* Don't leave cooking appliances unattended when in use.
Community fire safety officer Tony Firth said: "It doesn't take long to assess your own home and the way you live in terms of fire safety. It's just about maintaining a safe routine and using common- sense."
Free safety checks can be arranged by calling 0800 587 4536.