A WOMAN who cheated death from fumes poisoning has backed calls for more safety checks.
Mrs Eileen Denton suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in her Golcar home and suffered from the effects for years.
She has spoken out after the tragic story of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers, who died at his Fartown home last week.
Dominic, a promising footballer, was found dead by his mother, Stacey, at their home in Spaines Road.
It is believed he was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.
Mrs Denton, of Manor Road, has campaigned since 1995 for great safety from fumes.
She said: "It was with horror and regret I read in The Examiner of Dominic's tragic death due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
"It is rightly named the silent killer. You can't taste it, see it or sense it in any way.
"I was exposed to the gas in my own home for over seven years and the effects of that are with me still. I just reel in horror when I read of such happenings," she added.
"The message goes out regularly to have gas appliances (or oil or woodburning ) checked every year. But, as Dominic's uncle said, the purchase of a relatively cheap detector is essential to try to prevent such a tragedy," said Mrs Denton.
"The Carbon Monoxide Support Group has long strived to get these detectors to be placed, like smoke detectors, in all new houses.
"I would also stress that even though we are advised - usually at the beginning of cold winter days - to seal all our draughts and fit double glazing, we should make sure we have some means of getting fresh air into our houses.
"Had I not been a fresh air fiend I would not have survived.
"Carbon monoxide detectors are just the first defence against such tragedy. But they do not always protect against relatively low absorbtion of the gas, which can - and does - lead to prolonged illness.
"My heart goes out to Dominic's mother and family," said Mrs Denton