A HUGE fire on a bridge may have been sparked by thieves trying to steal electrical cables for scrap metal, police believe.
Firefighters battled for hours to protect a gas main during the blaze on a temporary bridge in Stainland Road, Elland, on Monday.
Officers have appealed for anyone with information to come forward.
The cabling had been exposed during renovation work.
Police have visited local scrap metal merchants to warn them not to take any scrap metal unless they could verify where it had come from.