EMERGENCY gas workers averted a possible gas explosion after vandals set fire to rubbish in a garden.
The troubleshooters were called out to a house in Ashenhurst Road, Newsome on Saturday night.
The fire is thought to have been started by vandals in a pile of household goods in the garden of the house.
The heat caused a gas pipe to rupture.
The blaze was only five feet away from the house and melted a hole in a plastic gas pipe on the outside of the property.
Huddersfield firefighters spotted the leak as they were clearing debris from the extinguished fire.
Leading Firefighter David Chadwick said: "I noticed a hissing noise and the smell of gas while we were removing rubbish from the fire.
"The gas pipe had a sheath on it but about 1cm of plastic was exposed. It had been heated up by the fire and burst.
"The gas could have exploded if we had not put the fire out quickly."
No other damage was caused to the house, which was unoccupied.
TransCo, which is responsible for gas pipes, were contacted and firefighters broke into the terraced property so the interior could be inspected for escaping gas.
The police were also called out to ensure the property was safely boarded up afterwards.