A FAMILY and a village community have been stunned by the terrible death of a little girl.
Ten-year-old Rachel Latham died last night, hours after collapsing at her school in front of playmates.
Today, family, friends and everybody at Wooldale Junior School, Holmfirth, have been left shocked by the tragedy, days before the end of term.
Rachel lived with her parents, David and Deanne, her nine-year-old sister and one-year-old brother in Pell Croft, Wooldale.
Both her parents are doctors.
A friend of the Latham family, Kate Watkins, said: "Rachel was at school on Mondy and apparently complained of feeling unwell.
"She suddenly collapsed and teaching staff tried to revive her.
"Her parents are both doctors and her mother who was called to the school continued to help her before Rachel was taken to the Infirmary.
"It is a terrible tragedy for everyone".
Mr Latham said: "I want to thank the staff at the school.
"They did everything they could to try and save Rachel's life".
Rachel, who has suffered from asthma for some time, complained of feeling unwell while at the village school in Royds Avenue on Monday.
She suddenly collapsed and teaching staff made valiant attempts to revive her.
She was taken by ambulance to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
But yesterday, doctors and the family agreed to turn off a life-support machine and Rachel died.
Tests are being carried out to determine the exact cause of her death.
A spokesman for Kirklees Council, the local education authority, said: "The school are obviously very upset and distressed. Clearly there is a need for the circumstances to be looked at and this will be done jointly with the Health and Safety Executive and the council's corporate safety unit.
"Until all the circumstances of this very tragic occurrence become clearer it would not be appropriate to speculate or comment further."
Ten-year-old Rachel Latham died in Huddersfield Royal Infirmary last night - 24 hours after collapsing at Wooldale Junior School.
It is believed Rachel may have suffered a severe asthma attack, but she was also allergic to several things.
She was rushed to the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, but her family took the agonising decision to switch off a life-support machine yesterday.