A GLASS ornament sparked a blaze at a New Mill house.
The ornament, used as a door stop, focused the rays of the sun on curtains at the house in Cold Hill Lane, New Mill.
The fire spread to laminate flooring, but was luckily discovered by the occupant when she returned home at lunchtime.
She used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire before Holmfirth fire crews arrived.
A brigade spokesman said: "The ornament was the size of a small football and was in the house as a door stop.
"The sun was very bright yesterday and the glass acted as a magnifying glass before it exploded.
"A lot of people have glass ornaments in their homes and they need to be aware of the risk. They need to be very careful about where they are placed.
"The sun may not be very strong at this time of year but it can cause problems, as we discovered yesterday.
"The woman who lives at the house had gone out in the morning.
"It was lucky that she returned at lunchtime or the damage could have been much worse."