A FAMILY was left counting the cost after faulty Christmas lights caused their garage to go up in flames.
The family returned to their home in Templars Close, Greetland, on Saturday night and switched on the outside lights.
They had put a string of festive lights across the top of the garage, but later heard explosions coming from the garage.
The dad of the family looked out to see flames leaping from the garage roof and rushed outside.
He moved his wife’s Volkswagen Touran out of the way while they waited for the fire service to arrive. The garage was gutted and all its contents destroyed.
The family’s VW Polo, which was inside the garage, was also badly damaged and may have to be written off.
Fire crews from Elland and Halifax were called out at 7.15pm and found the garage well alight.
Elland watch commander Mick Pollard said the fire was caused by the faulty lights and repeated warnings for people to check their Christmas lights, particularly if they were several years old.
“I know everyone will have their lights up by now but it’s not too late to warn people,” he said.
“Everyone should make sure their lights are in a good state of repair and if in doubt replace them. Otherwise it could ruin more than your Christmas.”
The Christmas lights were plugged into a socket in the garage, as many outdoor lights are.
Among the destroyed garage contents was the tumble drier, a lawnmower, garden equipment, bikes, garden furniture, toys and tools.