FIVE hundred sandbags were handed out to homes and businesses hit by Tuesday's flooding in Kirklees.
Highways workers visited and assessed the risk to about 200 homes during the deluge, following calls for help to Kirklees Council's streetcare line.
Mark Dobson, the council's principal highways maintenance engineer, said staff had been inundated with requests for help by people worried about the risk of flooding to their homes and businesses.
He said staff were now checking the area's roads, assessing risks and making many areas safe.
Mr Dobson said the floods had caused significant problems, with many manholes being lifted and road surfaces damaged.
Meanwhile, motorists' help organisation Green Flag offers tips to drivers.
* Tune into local radio stations for advice from the Environment Agency or ring the Floodline on 0845 988 1188
* Reduce speed when travelling through flooded areas, to avoid splashing water under the bonnet
* Check the depth of water before driving through; 2ft is enough to sweep your car away
* Test your brakes after you drive out of the floodwater
* Use dipped headlights during heavy rain.