TWO men were hailed as heroes today after rescuing a family from their blazing home.
Richard Sweeney and Nathan Featherstone may be commended by the fire service for their bravery, which firefighters said saved the lives of a mother and her two teenage children at a house in Firthcliffe Parade, Liversedge, today.
But Mr Sweeney's partner, Kathryn Lee, 34, said today the father-of-three was a "reluctant hero."
She said: "It is typical of Richard. He doesn't think he has done anything special. He went to work as normal today, just a little bit late."
A 39-year-old woman, her 19- year-old son and daughter, 14, were taken to Dewsbury District Hospital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation following the fire, which started just before 1am.
Ms Lee said they were awakened by the sound of screams for help from a woman and Mr Sweeney dashed downstairs in just his boxer shorts and trainers.
They saw the woman, who lives next door but one to them, standing terrified on a window ledge.
Mr Sweeney, 37, and Mr Featherstone fetched ladders and managed to coax her down.
Her daughter was also rescued and her son managed to get out downstairs through the blazing kitchen, badly burning his hands.
Ms Lee tended his injuries in her home in Firthcliffe Road while her children, Sam, 14, Ashley, 13 and Danielle, 11, slept.
A smoke alarm woke the family. The fire is believed to have started when a chip pan was left on.
* A man rescued his mother after finding her asleep in a blazing bed.
He went into her bedroom at their Rowan Avenue, Netherton, home to ask if she wanted a hot drink and found the blaze at 10.30pm last night.
He doused the flames with a damp towel. The woman was shocked but unhurt.
The fire was caused by a cigarette.