A SMOKE alarm saved a house from being gutted by fire in Liversedge.
Firefighters were called to Huddersfield Road at 9.30am yesterday after neighbours raised the alarm.
The householder – who was not in at the time – had accidentally knocked the grill on as they left the house.
Smoke alarms alerted a neighbour to dial 999.
Crews from Cleckheaton and Batley rushed to the scene.
They managed to enter the house through an open upstairs window.
The fire was extinguished before it could cause any serious damage.
Watch manager Chris Lawton said: “The damage could have been worse if the neighbour had not heard the smoke alarm.
“It is very important that everyone has working smoke alarms.
“If anyone wants free smoke alarms, they should contact their local fire station.”