FIREFIGHTERS dealt with two blazes at the same house last night.
And smoke detectors they fitted after the first saved a couple from death in the second.
A middle-aged couple live in the back-to- back home on Scholes Road in Birkby.
Firefighters were first called at 8pm after a cooker ring `exploded.'
The fire caused little damage, but the crew realised the couple had no smoke detectors and so fitted some.
But at 4am they got a second emergency call to the same house.
This fire is thought to have started in a settee, filling the house with smoke.
The newly-fitted detectors both went off and woke the woman.
She escaped from the house and told firefighters her husband was still in bed and she could not rouse him.
Firefighters carried him outside and gave him oxygen. The couple were taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary after breathing in smoke.
The fire wrecked the lounge and smoke spiralled through the house.