A BAKERY chain has apologised after a four-year-old almost choked on a piece of plastic bag hidden inside a doughnut.
Deighton dad Craig Simpson pulled what he thought was a blue sticking plaster from his son Camron’s mouth before he could swallow it.
The close call happened as the youngster tucked into a jam doughnut from Greggs’ recently opened branch at Leeds Road in Deighton.
Craig says the incident left the young Bradley Infants pupil so shocked that he now dissects all his food to check for hidden things.
Craig, who bought a five pack of doughnuts and some gingerbread men for his son and two-year-old daughter, Santanna, said he was enjoying the tea-time treats with his children when he noticed Camron was struggling to swallow his second doughnut.
He said: “I put my hand in his mouth because he was choking on the plaster.
“If I hadn’t have been in the kitchen he could have choked to death.
“I put it back in the doughnut and went straight back to Greggs but it was closed.
“The following morning I returned and showed the lady. She just went ‘oh, let me take that away and I will call head office.’
“I said ‘no, I’m going to take this further because it’s unacceptable.’
“She asked to dispose it again and I said ‘no, this is evidence.’”
Craig, 27, said he had been asked to provide pictures of the doughnut to Greggs’ head office and had met with managers at the Leeds Road branch where they admitted the error.
But he said he was unhappy with the way his complaint was handled and had been to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary to find out if his son needed a tetanus jab.
Doctors assured him any disease would have been killed by the baking process.
A spokesman for Greggs said the company had carried out an investigation which revealed the blue item was not a plaster.
The company said it was a fragment of plastic from an outer bag of ingredients which had been incorrectly opened.
Blue plastic is used throughout the food industry to help visibility if fragments do enter the production process.
The spokesman said: “We are very sorry this happened and we know the child who found the plastic must have been upset.
“We have offered compensation and remain concerned if the customer feels we have not dealt sympathetically with this issue.
“Quality is our highest priority and we have strict procedures in place to help prevent contamination of our products at every stage.
“Following this incident we have retrained our bakery staff in the relevant processes and re-iterated the importance of vigilance when preparing ingredients.”