Huddersfield Giants fans' bottles of water dubbed a 'terror threat' at Wakefield Wildcats

Huddersfield supporters banned from taking open bottles into Wakefield Trinity Wildcats ground

Huddersfield Giants Supports' Association chairman Dave Calverley.

Huddersfield Giants fans claim they were prevented from taking open bottles of water and pop into Sunday’s game at Wakefield because they were dubbed a “terror threat.”

Supporters had their bags searched at the turnstiles and were quizzed if they had bottles.

Stewards demanded to know if the bottles had been opened and, if they had, fans were told: “Drink it or pour it!”

Dave Calverley, chairman of the Huddersfield Giants Supporters’ Association, said fans were left fuming, and he has now made an official complaint to Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

 

“It was just ridiculous,” said Dave. “The liquids were being seen as a terrorist threat even though people were drinking them to prove otherwise.”

Dave, 62, and daughter Helen Calverley, 25, were stopped at the turnstiles at Belle Vue and Helen had her handbag searched.

She had a bottle of water inside and a steward asked if she had opened it. She said she had and was told she wouldn’t be allowed to take it in and must drink it or empty the bottle.

Dave and Helen protested to two men they describe as ‘suited security bosses’ outside and were told: “The Government have upgraded the terrorist threat to include all sports stadia and the liquid could be an explosive.”

Dave said: “I’ve never seen Helen as livid. She made a great scene of pouring the water away.”

Some sports stadia and concert venues ban fans from taking in bottles and food to prevent people using them as missiles and to encourage sales of refreshments inside.

Dave, who attends all Giants away games, said the only other RL club to ban bottles this season was Hull FC.

Dave said he understood Wakefield fans had also complained to their club.

He was still waiting for a reply to his emailed complaint and said: “Wakefield will either dig themselves a deeper hole or apologise.”

A Wakefield spokesman said he would look into the matter but said the club’s ground safety regulations had recently been tightened.

He said he was unaware of any heightened terror threat and added: “The new safety policy has been introduced in the last six to eight weeks so the home fans are aware but it might be more of a surprise to away supporters.”

There is signage outside the ground, he added.

What do you think?

What do you think about this story? Have your say by leaving your comments below.

Have your say below
 

Journalists

Doug Thomson
Huddersfield Town correspondent
Chris Roberts
Huddersfield Giants correspondent
Louise Cooper
Crime correspondent
Nick Lavigueur
Health Correspondent
Joanne Douglas
Local Government Correspondent
Linda Whitwam
Education Correspondent
Henryk Zientek
Business Correspondent
Val Javin
Features Editor
Martin Shaw
Mirfield Correspondent