A TEENAGE couple got more than they bargained for when they tucked into a meal from a Huddersfield KFC.
Adrian Robertson, 18, was about to take a bite out of his corn on the cob when he found a dead caterpillar buried in the snack.
“It made me feel sick,’’ he said. “I thought it was a maggot.
Greenhead College student Adrian and his girlfriend Rachel Fray, also 18, had bought a £14 meal from KFC on Wakefield Road in Aspley.
They went to her house on Ravensknowle Road in Moldgreen to eat the food which included chicken, chips and corn.
Adrian said: “I was about to eat my corn when I noticed a black dot on the top of the cob.
“I didn’t know what it was at first, so I pulled it out.
“Much to my surprise, out came a long, squishy caterpillar’s body.
“Rachel and I both felt sick. We didn’t eat another thing even though we were only a quarter of the way through our meal.”
The couple returned the corn – complete with two inches of dead caterpillar dangling out – to KFC at Aspley.
Adrian, who lives on Foster Avenue in Beaumont Park, said: “The manager laughed slightly and said ‘oh, we’re sorry about that’.
“I don’t think he took it seriously. He didn’t seem very apologetic.”
Adrian will not return to KFC following Saturday’s incident.
He said: “The manager gave me a refund and took my details so he could send me some vouchers. I haven’t received them yet but there’s no way I will use them.
“I definitely won’t go back there. This has put me off KFC.”
Adrian added that he had attempted to contact the company to complain.
“I’ve been trying to find a number for their head office but I can’t find it anywhere,’’ he said. “I’ve been on KFC’s website and I’ve Googled it.”
A spokeswoman for the franchisee that operates KFC in Huddersfield said yesterday that an investigation was under way.
She said: “We’re very sorry for Mr Robertson’s experience.
“Our corn cobettes arrive pre-washed and packed direct from our suppliers and there are strict procedures in place at all stages of the food preparation process, so we are in contact with our suppliers to find out how this may have happened.
“Our staff apologised to Mr Robertson at the time, and provided a full refund and our customer care team will be contacting him this week to provide him with some vouchers as a gesture of goodwill”.