PEOPLE have been urged to double-check they have turned their pans off this Christmas.
The warning comes after firefighters were called to two homes overnight to deal with pans which had been left switched on.
They had to break into a smoke-filled flat at Bishop's Court in Berry Brow at 9.20 last night after a man had put a pan on and then gone out.
The flat was smoke-logged, but the fire was confined to the pan.
At 6.30am today a woman called firefighters after a funny smell was coming from her next-door neighbours' home on Whitacre Close in Deighton.
Broccoli had been left in a pan overnight and had burned.