HOMES could contain a silent killer this winter, a Meltham woman has warned.
Louise Baldock's fiancé, Michael Price, died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 1999.
Ms Baldock, Labour and Co-operative Party spokes- woman in the Holme Valley, is now urging everyone to have their heating appliances and chimneys checked.
Mr Price was 45 when he died from carbon monoxide poisoning in his Shropshire home after the chimney became blocked.
Ms Baldock said: "He was with me for a fortnight over Christmas and then went back.
"There had been a fall in his chimney while he was away that he didn't know about."
Because of smokeless zone laws he was burning smokeless bricks on the fire.
"He didn't know the flue was blocked of course and without a room full of smoke to alert him, he sat on."
Poisoning can be caused by a high build up of fumes.
Ms Baldock continued: "There were a lot of people ill with flu and he just thought that's what it was. It took three days before it finally killed him."
She bought a carbon monoxide detector immediately after his death.
It is estimated that between 42 and 57 deaths a year in the UK are the result of carbon monoxide poisoning from domestic appliances.
"If the fuel you are burning does not give off smoke, you will have no idea what danger you might be in," said Ms Baldock.
Carbon monoxide is deadly, invisible and cannot be smelt or tasted.
Symptoms of poisoning include disorientation and dizziness as well as sickness.