A FIVE-FIGURE grant has been awarded to Huddersfield's Lawrence Batley Theatre.
The theatre has been given £55,135 to upgrade the foyer, buy new fittings and improve facilities for disabled people.
The cash has come from the Biffaward scheme, a fund managed by the Royal Society for Nature Conservation.
The fund uses tax charged on waste taken to landfill sites run by waste disposal group Biffa Waste Services to back worthwhile projects.
The sum also includes £5,513 from the Friends of Lawrence Batley Theatre.
Under Government rules, only 90% of a grant can be provided from landfill tax. The remaining 10% has to come from other sources.
The money will be used to brighten up the theatre foyer, provide full disabled access and help pay for other improvements, including hearing loops, carpeting, a theatre backcloth and stage ropes.
The theatre, which celebrates its 10th anniversary next year, stages performances by community groups, amateur and national companies.
It also has a youth theatre with 300 members and hosts two resident companies.
Biffaward chairman Martin Bettington said: "The Lawrence Batley Theatre does a lot of good work with local community groups of all ages and backgrounds.
"Biffaward is pleased to help ensure LBT's work continues for years to come."