Welcome to the Huddersfield Examiner's breaking news service.

We'll bring you the latest news, sport and travel updates for in and around Huddersfield.

Stay with us throughout the day to be the first to know everything that's happening across Huddersfield and the rest of West Yorkshire.

If there's something you've noticed and want us to check out then please feel free to get in touch - you can call us on 01484 437712, email editorial@examiner.co.uk or tweet @Examiner. You can also find us on social media here .

Man with 'belly' sought in connection with serious sexual assault

A CCTV image of a suspect police want to trace in connection with a serious sexual assault on a woman in Leeds has been released.

The 18-year-old victim had been in Mission nightclub when the man approached her and a friend. She became separated from her friend and the suspect suggested they leave the club.

They got into a black and white cab outside The Viaduct pub, in Lower Briggate, and travelled to the Ibis Budget hotel, in Crown Point Road.

They crossed Crown Point Road towards the River Aire and the suspect suggested they walk down the steps behind The Chandlers and along the river.

He then grabbed the victim and subjected her to a serious sexual assault.

The victim managed to get away and walked back onto Crown Point Road where she flagged down a man riding a bike and police were contacted.

The incident happened at about 4am on Saturday, May 13.

The suspect was described as white, about 5ft 9in tall, and aged in his twenties. He was not fat but had a belly and had balding, shaved hair. He was wearing a black top with a collar, black or blue jeans and black lace-up pumps. He had a Leeds accent.

Det Con Emma Kelly, of Leeds District CID, said: “We would like to hear from anyone who recognises the suspect shown in the image or who witnessed any part of the incident.

“We are particularly keen to trace the man on the bike that the victim flagged down in Crown Point Road at about 4.10am so we can speak to him as a witness.”

Anyone with any information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact DC 5504 Kelly at Elland Road via 101 quoting crime number 13170215445 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Man police wanted to identify in connection with serious sexual assault
Man police wanted to identify in connection with serious sexual assault (Photo: WYP)

Ladies who do cricket

Using a soft ball so you don’t have to be Sarah Taylor.

Traffic easing following M62 accident

All lanes open and traffic easing, accident cleared on M62 Eastbound between J25 A644 (Brighouse) and J26 M606 / A58 (Chain Bar).

M62 alert

Two lanes of the M62 are closed and there’s very slow traffic due to accident on M62 Eastbound between J25 A644 (Brighouse) and J26 M606 / A58 (Chain Bar).

Calder Valley hustings

A former MP jailed for claiming false election expenses turned up to quiz candidates hoping to be the next Calder Valley MP.

David Chaytor was jailed for 18 months after he pleaded guilty to charges of false accounting in relation to Parliamentary expenses claims.

He was in the audience of a Calderdale NUT hustings at Brighouse Civic Hall on Monday.

All Calder Valley candidates were invited, Craig Whittaker (CON), Paul Rogan (UKIP) and Janet Battye (Lib Dem) were “empty chaired” after they were unavailable.

Former MP David Chaytor asked the panel “Do you think Calderdale needs more grammar schools, and if so where? If not, what do you do with the existing two?”

Craig Whittaker’s absence was called out numerous times by Labour candidate Josh Fenton-Glynn, who accused his Conservative rival of hypocrisy after his 2015 rooftop protest at Todmorden High School, commenting “he promised a new building within two years and since then, he has raised it in parliament exactly twice.”

Calderdale NUT division secretary James Wilson said “We organised this debate in order to highlight the importance of voting for education on June 8. It is heartening that so many of the audience submitted questions, and that they mirrored the concerns of our own members over funding, testing, and mental health and wellbeing. It is disappointing that some candidates were unavailable, which voters are likely to remember.”

Family tribute to Sir Roger

Sir Roger Moore’s family have issued a statement about his death aged 89.

It says: “It is with a heavy heart that we must announce our loving father, Sir Roger Moore, has passed away today in Switzerland after a short but brave battle with cancer.

“The love with which he was surrounded in his final days was so great it cannot be quantified in words alone.

“We know our own love and admiration will be magnified many times over, across the world, by people who knew him for his films, his television shows and his passionate work for Unicef, which he considered to be his greatest achievement.

“The affection our father felt whenever he walked on to a stage or in front of a camera buoyed him hugely and kept him busy working into his 90th year, through to his last appearance in November 2016 on stage at London’s Royal Festival Hall.

“The capacity crowd cheered him on and off stage, shaking the very foundations of the building just a short distance from where he was born.

“Thank you Pops for being you, and for being so very special to so many people.

“Our thoughts must now turn to supporting Kristina (his wife) at this difficult time, and in accordance with our father’s wishes there will be a private funeral in Monaco.”

The statement was signed by Sir Roger’s children, Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian.

File photo dated 09/10/03 of Sir Roger Moore with his knighthood at Buckingham Palace. Sir Roger has died in Switzerland after a short battle with cancer, his family has announced. Kirsty Wigglesworth/PA Wire
File photo dated 09/10/03 of Sir Roger Moore with his knighthood at Buckingham Palace. Sir Roger has died in Switzerland after a short battle with cancer, his family has announced. Kirsty Wigglesworth/PA Wire

RIP Roger

Former James Bond star Sir Roger Moore has died in Switzerland after a short battle with cancer, his family has announced.

Sir Roger Moore
Sir Roger Moore

Rail strikes called off

Strikes planned by workers on Southern Railway, Arriva Rail North and Merseyrail on May 30 have been called off in light of the Manchester bombing said the RMT union.

Northern Rail
Northern Rail

Road closure warning

Highways have issued an advance warning that part of the M62 Eastbound will be closed due to roadworks during the night.

It will be between J27 M621 / A650 / A62 (Gildersome) and J28 A650 / A653 (Tingley).

It runs from 8pm-6am until Friday.

Traffic hold-ups

There’s queueing traffic on A62 Castlegate at A640 Trinity Street at the traffic lights.

Kirklees on postal votes

Kirklees has issued advice for psotal vote applications.

They say: If we receive it after Tuesday 2 May and before the legal deadline of 5pm on Tuesday 23 May 2017, your postal vote will not be sent out until around Tuesday 30 May.”

So there is still time today...

Road closure

There are a number of road closures, but roadworks on one key road were not even given warning about it.

A major route between Grange Moor and Colne Bridge is closed this week for resurfacing.

But drivers weren’t given advance warning before driving up to the roadworks, forcing many to do a u-turn.

Bellstring Lane, Kirkheaton closed for resurfacing.
Bellstring Lane, Kirkheaton closed for resurfacing.

M62 now re-open

Police have re-opened the lane of the M62 after an earlier accident.

It involved a car towing a trailer and took place Eastbound at J28 A650 / A653 (Tingley), congestion on M62 to J26 M606 / A58 (Chain Bar).

All lanes have been re-opened but there will be long delays.

Car towing trailer involved in M62 accident

A car towing a trailer has collided into the M62 central reservation.

No-one has been injured.

A recovery vehicle is now on the scene to clear the debris but two lanes of the M62 remain closed and there are long delays.

The accident scene is Eastbound at J28 A650 / A653 (Tingley), and congestion is abck to on M62 to J26 M606 / A58 (Chain Bar).

Suspicious car fires

Two cars were set alight in Batley overnight.

Firefighters from Dewsbury Fire Station were called to Purlwell Lane at 3am and to land near to the Irish Nash Public House a short time later.

They said both were suspicious and have passed the incidents over to the police.

The cars were destroyed.

Police at the scene

Highways are currently working with West Yorkshire Police after an accident on the M62.

There are already long tailbacks and delays are likely for a while.

M62 accident

Two lanes of the M62 are closed and there’s very slow traffic due to accident.

There are multiple vehicles including a trailer involved on M62 Eastbound at J28 A650 / A653 (Tingley), congestion on M62 to J27 M621 / A650 / A62 (Gildersome).
Lanes two and three (of three) are closed.

Traffic hot spots

There is congestion on the M62 eastbound between J27 and J28.

Here’s what else is happening on our roads:

1) Slow traffic on A58 Halifax Road at A644 Brighouse Road.

2) There’s slow traffic on A629 Cow Green at Bull Green Roundabout.

Manchester updates

We’re running a separate live blog to bring you updates and reaction from Manchester, you can view it here: http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/manchester-arena-terror-attack-reaction-13076613

Candles to be lit

A Lindley church will open its doors for people to light a candle and pay their respects to the 22 killed by a suicide bomber in Manchester.

St Stephen’s in Lindley has tweeted:

Ariana puts her tour on hold after Manchester terror attack

Ariana Grande has put her European tour on hold saying she is “broken” after a terror attack at her concert in Manchester left 22 people dead.

A suspected suicide bomber struck at Manchester Arena just moments after the end of her concert last night.

The 23-year-old American singer said on Twitter she was “broken.”

She added: “From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.”

Ariana Grande performs in 2016
Ariana Grande performs in 2016

Helpline set up

Let’s reiterate the helpline for people looking or concerned about a loved one in Manchester

Greater Manchester Police have set up a dedicated number: 0161 856 9400

Time to grieve

Huddersfield Labour candidate Barry Sheerman said: “It’s beyond belief that the perpetrators should have targeted children.

“Our thoughts go out to all the victims, it’s too dreadful for words.

“I hope that the Bishop of Huddersfield and the Parish Church can quickly arrange an opportunity for the community to get together so we can grieve.”

Call to keep 'give blood' appointments

Blood donors are being encouraged to keep their appointments to give blood following the explosion at a concert in Manchester.

NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) said it has enough blood stocks at present but NHSBT said that if anyone was interested in donating blood they should book an appointment to do so.

Mike Stredder, director of blood donation at NHSBT, said: “We are responding to last night’s events in Manchester.

“Our thoughts are with the people affected by this tragic incident.

“If you have an appointment to give blood in the next few days, please do your best to keep it, particularly if you are blood group O negative.”

North West Ambulance NHS Trust sent 60 ambulances to the scene at Manchester Arena. It said that 59 casualties had been taken to nearby hospitals and a number of walking wounded were treated at the scene. Greater Manchester Police said the injured were being treated at six local hospitals.

“This was an evil act”

Andy Burnham, the Greater Manchester metro mayor, has said the attack was an “evil act” that had caused anger, shock and hurt.

Speaking on Tuesday he said the city would do what it could to operate as usual: “It is hard to believe what has happened here in the last few hours, and to put into words the shock, anger, and hurt that we feel today. “These were children, young people and their families that those responsible chose to terrorise and kill.

“This was an evil act.”

Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham and Manchester City Council Leader Sir Richard Leese speak to the media outside Manchester Town Hall after a suicide bomber killed 22 people, including children, as an explosion tore through fans leaving a pop concert in Manchester. Dave Higgens/PA Wire
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham and Manchester City Council Leader Sir Richard Leese speak to the media outside Manchester Town Hall after a suicide bomber killed 22 people, including children, as an explosion tore through fans leaving a pop concert in Manchester. Dave Higgens/PA Wire

He offered his support to the families of the victims, and paid tribute to locals who had opened their doors to strangers and offered shelter to those fleeing the Manchester Arena and evacuated areas.

Mr Burnham said this was the “best possible message to those who seek to divide us”, and would be the prevailing spirit of Manchester.

He said: “We are grieving today, but we are strong. Today it will be business as usual, as far as possible in our great city.”

The former health secretary thanked the hundreds of emergency services personnel who worked through the night in the most “difficult circumstances imaginable”, and those who had offered their support from other cities and countries.

How public transport is affected

Trains to Manchester Victoria have been cancelled.

You can still get into the city via Piccadilly at the following times:

08:30; Manchester Piccadilly

08:42 Manchester Airport

08:56 Manchester Piccadilly

09:02 Manchester Piccadilly

09:12 Manchester Airport

09:30 Liverpool Lime Street

09:40Manchester Airport

The M62 is running well but there will be difficulties driving into Manchester as some roads are closed.


There are a number of city centre road closures including sections of Deansgate, Great Ducie Street, Miller Street, Rochdale Road, Chapel Street, Victoria Street and Victoria Station Approach.

What we know so far about the Manchester terror attack

Here is what we know so far about the terrorist attack at Manchester Arena.

22 people have been killed and 59 have been injured in the blast

Children are among the dead

The attack was carried out by a lone male suicide bomber who detonated an improvised explosive device. He died at the arena.

Police are investigating whether he acted alone or was part of a network.

It is the worst terrorist attack in the UK since 56 people were killed in the 7/7 London bombings in 2005.

The explosion rocked the Manchester Arena at the conclusion of a performance by the American star Ariana Grande.

Manchester Arena said the explosion happened outside the venue, as people began streaming from the doors.

Greater Manchester Police said they were called to the venue at around 10.33pm and approach roads were closed.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - Police and fans close to the Manchester Arena on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England (Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images)
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - Police and fans close to the Manchester Arena on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England (Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images)

Support from West Yorkshire Police

West Yorkshire Police have confirmed this morning that they sent officers to Manchester last night to help support Greater Manchester Police after the terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena.

Trains into Manchester affected

Trains to Manchester Victoria are cancelled after last night’s terrorist attack in Manchester.

National Rail say: “Emergency services are dealing with last nights tragic events that occurred at Manchester Arena. As Manchester Victoria is located near the arena, the station will remain closed and no trains will operate. Manchester Victoria will remain closed until at least the end of today.

“Trains will be diverted, cancelled or start / terminate at alternative stations.”

Scene after an explosion at the Manchester arena Vincent Cole 23 May 2017
Scene after an explosion at the Manchester arena Vincent Cole 23 May 2017

Advice for Northern customers:

Northern will operate services on the following routes to replace those which would normally call at Manchester Victoria:

• Huddersfield – Stalybridge
• Wigan – Salford (via Atherton)
• Leeds – Rochdale
• Blackpool – Manchester Oxford Road
• Clitheroe - Bolton – Blackburn
• Kirby – Wigan

Road transport is being arranged to operate between Rochdale / Stalybridge and Manchester Piccadilly. However this will be very limited.

There is an emergency number available for those who are concerned about loved ones or anyone who may have been in the area - it’s 0161 856 9400.