FIRE crews say a Brighouse man is lucky to be alive after a chip pan fire at his Brighouse home early today.
Crew manager David Manning of Brighouse fire station said two working smoke alarms saved the life of the 30-year-old man, who fell asleep and left chips cooking on the stove.
"He is a very lucky man. His working smoke alarms saved his life and I would repeat this message to anyone about ensuring their homes were fitted with working smoke alarms," he said.
The man is thought to have started cooking his supper after returning from a night out, at about 1am this morning.
Two crews tackled the fire in the downstairs flat at the rented terraced house in South Street.
The kitchen was badly damaged and the rest of the house smoke damaged.
* Free fire checks at home or smoke alarms can be arranged on 0800 5874536.