FIREFIGHTERS had a lucky escape when they were blown to the ground by two gas blasts in Milnsbridge.
One firefighter was injured by the blasts at a house.
And a woman from the house suffered from breathing in smoke.
Fire crews from Huddersfield and Slaithwaite went to a house fire in Crow Lane at 8.40am yesterday.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went in the terrace house to find a tumble drier ablaze in the kitchen.
Despite efforts to control the fire - at the top of the cellar stairs - they were forced to retreat by the flames.
As they left the house a violent explosion blew the back door and windows apart, knocking both firefighters off their feet.
One of the men suffered shock and bruising.
Five minutes later a second blast knocked another firefighter outside to the ground.
Paul Mace, watch manager at Huddersfield fire station, said: "Had they not come out when they did they would have caught the full force of the explosion.
"It was very lucky timing," he added.
He said two gas canisters at the top of the cellar steps had caused the blasts.
A family of three who were in the house when the blaze started escaped unhurt.
Paramedics treated the woman at the scene after she breathed in smoke.
The fire caused wide damage throughout the house.
Flames burned through the staircase above the fire and spread to the first floor.
A fire investigation is continuing.