A MAN of 77 died from hypothermia due to self-neglect, an inquest heard.
Police found Alan Gilbert, a retired maintenance worker, dead in his bedroom in Blacker Road, Birkby, on January 6.
Neighbours had become worried because they had not seen him for several days, the Huddersfield hearing was told.
Mr Gilbert was on the floor, wearing only underclothes and a shirt. Police said his house was "dirty, damp and cold".
A post-mortem was carried out by Dr George Thompson the next day. He concluded that hypothermia was the cause of death.
Mr Gilbert, who spent nine years in the Army, had lived alone in the house since 1985, when his parents died.
He was estranged from his family, except for a brother, Keith, who lived in Bridlington and used to visit about four times a year.
His last visit was in October, and although he had not noticed any significant changes in his brother he had become increasingly forgetful.
Kirklees coroner Mr Roger Whittaker recorded a verdict of accidental death from hypothermia. But he said this was brought about by Mr Gilbert failing to look after himself properly.
He added: "Mr Gilbert did not look after himself particularly well.
"He did not have a phone, so neighbours, particularly the local shopkeeper, who had a phone number for the brother, would keep an eye on him.
"When they noticed there were three bottles of milk on Mr Gilbert's doorstep and had not seen him for several days they contacted his brother, who informed them to contact the police.
"The date of death will be recorded as January 6, although Mr Gilbert may have died several days before."