A 94-YEAR-OLD man had a lucky escape when fire broke out in his flat at Malham Court, Quarmby.
The blaze started after he lit a candle and put it on top of a small fridge in his bedroom, without putting the candle in a fireproof holder.
The candle burned down and set light to the fridge.
The man had been using the candle because the light bulb in the room had gone.
The fire, just before 3am on Saturday, was confined to the fridge and was put out by Huddersfield firefighters.
The man was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
Sub-officer Alan Woodcock, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "We advise people that if they are going to use candles, to make sure they are in non-combustible holders."