A HOUSE fire at Lepton has claimed the life of a man in his 20s.
The man, who has not yet been named, died shortly after the fire yesterday morning.
An inquiry is under way into the cause of the blaze.
Two fire crews from Huddersfield were called to the small terraced house on Highgate Lane at 5.05am, along with one engine from Skelmanthorpe.
They found neighbours outside, watching with horror as smoke billowed from the roof.
One resident, who did not want to be named, said: "I heard all the sirens, which was what woke me up. I looked outside and there was smoke coming from the house. It was a real commotion."
She added: "It was just terrible. It is so tragic."
The fire was mainly confined to the downstairs area of the house.
Two firefighters wearing breathing masks tackled the flames downstairs, while two others - also in breathing gear - went upstairs to search for occupants.
A female occupant of the house managed to escape before the fire brigade arrived. She was treated for smoke inhalation.
The man, thought to be 24, was rescued alive by firefighters. Paramedics gave him oxygen and first aid at the scene before taking him to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, where he died.
Huddersfield fire station sub-officer Tony Bateman said the fire was very severe.
He added: "The building was fully smoke-logged. On our arrival there was a lot of smoke coming through between the slates on the roof.
"The windows were smoke-blackened. Conditions were so bad that if someone had not been inside we would not have gone in."
He added that the heat was so intense that firefighters' equipment began to melt.
Det Insp Sam Cooke, of Huddersfield CID, said police did not think the cause was suspicious.
Floral tributes have already started appearing on the steps of the boarded-up house.