A MAN had to be rescued by firefighters after his chip pan caught fire as he slept.
A blaze swept through the kitchen of his home on Fernside Close in Almondbury at 7.30pm on Thursday night.
Firefighters say the man had fallen asleep after putting the chip pan on the cooker and had slept through the sound of his smoke alarm. They were alerted by a concerned neighbour who could hear the alarm and could smell burning.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found the man and led him to safety. He was later taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary and treated for smoke inhalation. Crew manager Wayne Ogden from Huddersfield Fire Station said: “My only advice is don’t use a chip pan. Fires from chip pans can be very dangerous.”