A MAN was trapped by smoke pouring into his home.
He had to be led to safety by firefighters who had strapped an oxygen mask to his face to save him breathing in the potentially deadly smoke.
An outhouse had been set alight next to the man's flat on High Street, Westtown in Dewsbury at 4am today.
The outhouse was next to an open door leading to the man's first-floor flat.
He was asleep in the lounge, but woke up when his smoke detector went off.
Dewsbury Fire Station watch manager Peter Lau said: "The smoke had gone up the stairs and the flames had spread from the outhouse to the hall. This door was the man's only way in and out, so we had to lead him to safety and gave him oxygen."
Police are investigating the fire.
Watch Manager Lau added: "This incident shows how important smoke detectors can be. If the detector had not woken him up, we could have been dealing with a far more serious incident."
He urged people to contact West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service for a free home safety check when free smoke detectors can be fitted. Ring 0800 587 4536.