AN angry MP today hit out at safety chiefs after the tragic deaths of a Huddersfield couple.
Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman said more priority had to be given to safety lessons after a couple died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Lockwood flat.
And he said lessons should have been learned following the death of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers at his Fartown home a little over a year ago.
"The deaths of Mr Kam Shing Lam and his wife Mary are shocking.
"We knew about the tragic effects of carbon monoxide last year, when Dominic Rodgers died, and I have spent months working with safety groups trying to convince them that more needs to be done.
"They should insist on thorough safety checks being carried out on every gas appliance in every home. I believe the Health and Safety Executive have not acted fast enough in the wake of Dominic's death.
"The deaths in that flat in Lockwood are shocking and I am disgusted."
Mr Sheerman has worked closely with Dominic's mum, Stacey Rodgers, trying to spread the safety message about the dangers of carbon monoxide- labelled the silent killer.
And he insisted: "We must get everyone within the industry, including the HSE and British Gas, working together.
"I shall seek immediate talks with these groups and organisations to ensure that we make it as simple and as cheap as possible for the vital safety tests to be carried out."
Mr Sheerman's comments came as the Health and Safety Executive announced a massive new information campaign about the dangers.
Posters and information leaflets are now being circulated to GP surgeries across the country.
David Powell, HSE Principal Inspector of the Gas Safety team said: "CO poisoning kills about 30 people each year. This is 30 too many and the HSE is working with Corgi, Transco and the Department of Health to cut this death toll dramatically.
"Anyone who has had a gas appliance installed or serviced recently and is experiencing drowsiness, headaches and nausea should immediately switch it off and have it checked by a Corgi registered gas installer, or ring the Transco emergency number on 0800 111 999.
"Contact a doctor who can carry out tests for CO in your blood.
"To find a Corgi registered engineer, or to report an unsafe installation, Corgi can be contacted on 0870 401 2300.
"The symptoms for CO poisoning are very common, but if you see sooting and condensation around your appliance, or big orange flames inside, your appliance could be leaking carbon monoxide."