A FAMILY had a lucky escape from a house fire.
A mother and her two young daughters fled unscathed when fire broke out in their home on School Lane, Dewsbury Moor, at 7.30pm on Wednesday.
The fire was caused by a fault on their gas boiler.
The mother had smelt smoke coming from the boiler cupboard and opened the cupboard door to check.
She was confronted with `blowtorch' type flames, which were being produced by gas leaking from the boiler in the kitchen and setting alight.
The woman alerted the fire service and went outside with her daughters.
The flames set fire to other items in the cupboard and the kitchen was smoke-logged.
The ventilation system in the terraced house meant smoke spread to neighbouring homes and the occupants had to be evacuated.
Firefighters were on the scene for an hour, putting out the flames and clearing smoke.
They said everyone was able to go back to their homes, but the Red Cross Victim Support Service was also on hand to offer practical help.