POLICE are today trying to discover the identity of a man who died in a house blaze in Huddersfield.

The man, who may have been a squatter, was in an attic bedroom at the terraced home at Norman Road in Birkby when the fire broke out yesterday morning.

Police still do not know who he is and have released a detailed description of him today in a bid to discover his identity.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

It is thought to have been sparked by candles and tealights before spreading to a pile of rubbish containing plastics.

This gave off a toxic smoke and early indications are that this caused the man's death.

Smoke was seen pouring from the back-to-back house at around 8.15am.

Firefighters quickly doused the fire and discovered the man's body.

Police immediately cordoned off the stone property.

Specialist scene of crime officers and members of Huddersfield CID investigated and the man's body was carried out at 11.30am.

Det Insp Ian Devey, of Huddersfield police, said today: "Inquiries are on-going to try to establish the man's identity.

"The early indications from the post mortem are that the cause of death was the inhalation of combustible materials, but more toxicology tests will now be carried out.

"We are unsure if the man was alone when the fire broke out, or if other people had been in the house which has all the indications of being used as a squat.

"There was no electricity in the property, which is why candles were being used there. It was cluttered with rubbish and there were a lot of plastics in there.

"If anyone has been in that house in recent weeks we would urge them to come forward."

The man was white, aged between 30 and 45, 5ft 10ins with a slim, lean build. He had short cropped hair with a receding hairline and a distinctive tattoo on his right inner forearm - a heart within a circle with some writing on it.

Anyone with information should contact Huddersfield CID on 01484 436582.