FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning after neighbours failed to leave their flats during a fire.
The blaze began when an iron, which had been left on, set an ironing board on fire in an apartment at Priestroyd Mills, Firth Street, at 4.15pm on Saturday.
But despite fumes from the blaze triggering smoke alarms, people in neighbouring properties failed to evacuate believing it was a drill, firefighters said.
The fire, in which nobody was hurt, was put out by fire crews using an aerial jet.
Huddersfield Fire Watch Commander Darren Bagley stressed the importance of heeding to fire alarms.
He said: “People hadn’t evacuated when they heard the alarm.
“This was a confirmed fire, not a drill and we found people in there still reading books.”