CHURCH is not just for Sundays.
That is the message of a project being launched at Huddersfield Parish Church.
The project - named Cornerstone - aims to make the church a seven-days-a-week attraction for Christians and non-Christians alike.
The Vicar of Huddersfield, the Rev Catherine Ogle, said people visit the church for many reasons other then prayer.
Many come to view the architecture and historical items. Others come for concerts, while some visit the crypt's Keys Cafe for meetings or to eat.
Mrs Ogle said: "It's been part of the town for almost 1,000 years. We are proud of it and we want to make sure people have access to the building.
"We hope that people in Huddersfield value the church being there. It doesn't matter why they come, just that they do. We want to ensure that can happen into the next century."
The main aim of Cornerstone - which will be launched on October 2 - is to improve access to the church to allow more people to visit.
Currently, steps at the front entrance and at the cafe entrance prevent people with wheelchairs, prams or mobility problems from entering unaided.
As part of Cornerstone, the parochial church council has commissioned Huddersfield architect Stuart Beaumont to come up with a plan to solve access problems while retaining the character of the Grade II listed building.
As well as access works, the church will undergo refurbishment to lighting and carpets.
Ideas for the access improvements and refurbishments are on display in the church.
The exact cost of the Cornerstone project has not yet been finalised. But fundraising activities are under way.
A coffee morning has raised £217 and a race night at the Keys Cafe is planned for 7pm on September 11. Tickets cost £5.
On October 2- there will be an open day at the church attended by the Mayor of Kirklees, Clr Mary Harkin, and Holmfirth artist Ashley Jackson.
The public will be entertained by Kirklees Music School, Halifax Holy Trinity Senior School gospel choir and organ recitals.
They will also be able to find out information about the church, its history and Cornerstone.
THERE have been three churches on the Byram Street site of Huddersfield Parish Church.
The first was a Norman church, built in 1100 by wealthy landowner Walter de Laci.
He supposedly promised to build it after his prayer to be saved from drowning in a swamp was granted.
In 1503, the church was rebuilt in Tudor style, complete with a carved wooden gallery.
By 1830 it had become neglected. But the religious and prosperous Victorians commissioned architect James Pritchett - who also designed Huddersfield railway station - to rebuild the church.
Relics in today's church, St Peter's, include an Elizabethan font from 1570, with an ornate wooden cover of 1640.
There is also a large golden baldachino - a pillared canopy - which covers the high altar built in the 20th century by Scottish architect John Ninian Comper.
He also designed a stained- glass window behind it.
Both features are in memory of those who died in the First World War.