WREATHS still lay next to the imposing war memorial and belvedere in Greenhead Park.
The park is in the final stages of a £5.4m revamp and in recent years the belvedere – an architectural term for a structure designed to incorporate a view – has also undergone some restoration work too.
Unsightly anti-graffiti paint has been removed and decorative stone balls returned to the belvedere wall.
This photograph, taken by Gary Quarmby, of Linthwaite, shows the imposing monument in the fading light on a summer’s evening. Usually the memorial gets profiled around the time of Remembrance Day in November.
The memorial originally opened on April 26, 1924, with thousands gathering to watch the ceremony.
It had been designed by Sir Charles Nicholson, one of the country’s most well-known and respected ecclesiastical architects, who was at the height of his career at that time.
His work included Portsmouth Cathedral and part of St Anne’s Cathedral in Belfast.
Sir Charles, who died in 1949, was brother of the stained glass artist Archibald Keightley Nicholson and Sir Sydney Hugo Nicholson, organist at Westminster Abbey and founder of the Royal School of Church Music in 1927.
Sir Charles married Evelyn Louise Olivier who was the aunt of the actor Laurence Olivier.
We always need submissions for Picture Of The Week.
Please send them to email@example.com or you can drop them in the post to Picture of the Week, Features, Huddersfield Examiner, Pennine Business Park, Longbow Close, Bradley Road, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD2 1GQ.