TOWN hall leaders are being urged to give a big cash boost for a mum's battle to stop her son's death being in vain.
Stacey Rodgers has been campaigning for better home safety ever since her 10-year-old son Dominic was poisoned by deadly fumes a year ago.
Now her quest for action over carbon monoxide could get more help from Kirklees Council.
Leaders say they are sympathetic - but have warned that cash is tight.
Labour councillors told a council meeting that funding should be put aside for special detectors for 2,000 local homes.
The detectors pick up the invisible but deadly carbon monoxide fumes and give a vital early warning.
Last month the Examiner gave away 1,000 CO detectives, which were snapped up within hours.
Fire chiefs are also being urged to back the idea with cash and the aim is to collect £60,000.
That would be enough to provide detectors for 2,000 of the most vulnerable families in Kirklees.
Ten-year-old Dominic Rodgers died a year last February, when fumes seeped into his home in Spaines Road, Fartown, as he slept.
His mother Stacey, who now lives in Deighton, has since mounted a vociferous campaign for greater awareness of the dangers.
But tragically, a Huddersfield couple died last month when fumes from a gas fire killed them as they slept.
Mr Kan Shing Lam, 54, and his wife Hsiu Ying Lam, 52, were found dead in their flat above the Man Lee takeaway in Woodhead Road, Lockwood.
Clr Ken Smith, one of the councillors behind the proposals, said it was a very emotive issue.
"My council colleagues have worked very closely with Stacey Rodgers ever since the tragic death of her son but we hope to give the campaign fresh impetus.
"The West Yorkshire Fire Authority are very keen on the idea and very supportive and I expect it to be backed by Kirklees Council.
"Some of the funding is expected to come from charitable sources, with a further £10,000 from the fire authority.
"We are asking the council to commit £20,000 to the scheme with the remainder from other funding sources".
Labour leader Clr Mehboob Khan - who was behind a safety drive immediately after Dominic's death - said it was a good move.
"We have set an ambitious target of 50% of council homes to have detectors by 2010 and every home to be safe by 2015."
Council leader Clr Kath Pinnock pledged the request would be considered.