STAFF at a Huddersfield museum had to call police after a gang of baying youths threatened to break their way into the building.
The 999 call was made after the mob, who had been refused entry to Tolson Museum in Ravensknowle Park, started banging on windows and kicking the door.
They fled before officers arrived.
A source told the Examiner: “This was the most severe in an increasingly savage number of attacks by local youths.
“The museum and its surrounding park have been a source of enjoyment for local families and school children for decades.
“Now, it seems, a new generation of young people are more interested in making the whole area a playground for their anti-social behaviour.”
He claimed the park had been taken over by people with dangerous dogs and “roaming gangs of violent, often drunken youths, stalking in packs.”
He added: “Everyone, the council, the police, the local community need to do something to stand up to this.
“It is either that or admit defeat, lock your doors and abandon Ravensknowle Park to the hoodies and Rottweilers.”
The incident on Tuesday follows a similar incident in September when youths got into the museum and threatened staff.
Three were given anti-social behaviour orders as a result.
Insp Adrian Waugh, of Huddersfield South Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “This is something that we take very seriously and by working closely together with the council we addressed the issues and have maintained a police presence in the area ever since.
“Officers patrol the park every day and we liaise closely with council park rangers and other agencies to keep on top of anti-social and criminal behaviour.
“I want our parks to be places that people want to visit and we will take action against offenders.
“Tuesday’s events are unfortunate but we are aware and dealing with the matter.”
He said all parks attracted groups of youths, but the NPT had shown it would take action against offenders.
A Kirkless Council spokesman said that, while incidents were rare, the safety of staff and visitors at the museum was a priority.
He added: “Following the incident in September, police reviewed our security arrangements and found them to be appropriate and all staff involved were offered support.
“The young people involved were arrested and charged. They were subsequently given anti-social behaviour orders.
“In the second incident this week, the youths involved did not manage to gain access to the building.
“Staff contacted the police, and those involved have been identified. We are now co-operating with their ongoing enquiry.
“We continue to work with crime prevention officers and community safety officers so that our employees and visitors can continue to use this popular the museum in safety.”