WHEN octogenarian Sheila Warrington agreed to have her home insulated, the last thing she expected was for one of the installers to fall through her kitchen ceiling.
But that’s what happened and it is only now, after the intervention of the Examiner, that the company concerned, loft insulation experts Stay Warm Energy Care, has paid for the damage.
The drama began on July 27 when three men went to insulate Mrs Warrington’s loft at Long Fallas Crescent, Brighouse, and one of them misjudged the joists and fell through the ceiling, leaving behind a 2ft x 3.5ft hole.
Mrs Warrington, who has since died, was vulnerable, being disabled and suffering from memory difficulties.
Her close friend, Derek Mitchell, of Moorhill Court, Salendine Nook, agreed to pursue the Pudsey-based company and explained to them in a series of emails how shocked Mrs Warrington had been by what had occurred.
Despite making numerous phone calls nothing was done so eventually the work was carried out by two firms of plasterers and decorators while Mr Mitchell tried to get the insulation firm to pay the bill of more than £1,000.
And on Monday, after the Examiner contacted the company and more than four months after the damage was caused by its contractors, Stay Warm has finally paid up the £1,160.
Mr Mitchell, 85, said: “I stepped in because Sheila had no-one else. It became a matter of principle. They have made so many promises.
“It definitely affected her mind, she was asking: ‘Why don’t they come? Why have they neglected me?’”
In one of his despairing emails to the company in early August he wrote: “This has been a terrible shock to her and seems to be pushing her into a disturbed state of mind.
“The large hole in the ceiling is a constant reminder of the problem.”
Adam Mahmood, of Stay Warm, said: “It was entirely our fault. We take responsibility for the damage.”
Asked why it had taken so long for the bill to be paid he said there had been issues around gaining access to the house.
As for the unlucky contractor he added: “All the contractors are self-employed. He was OK when he fell through the roof. That has not happened to us before.”