Login Register

Queensgate Market evacuated after overheated electrical fitting set fire to ceiling tiles

An off-duty nurse sounded the alarm

An overheated electrical light fitting triggered the evacuation of Huddersfield’s Queensgate Market Hall after a fire.

Many people were evacuated from the hall.

Queensgate Market, Huddersfield, evacuated.

Andy Wooler, Watch Commander at Huddersfield Fire Station, said an off duty nurse acted quickly when she spotted the fitting had set fire to ceiling tiles in the roof of a unit at the hall.

He said she broke the ‘break glass’ point in an alarm at the disused shop unit at around 11am.

Read more: Hundreds evacuated as fire hits Queensgate Market hall

Staff left their shops and shoppers were told to leave the hall and others were stopped from entering the hall from entrances in The Piazza, Peel Street and Alfred Street.

Queensgate Market, Huddersfield, evacuated.

Fire crews from Huddersfield were called to reports of smoke coming from an electrical light fitting.

Crews checked the hall for further problems.

Mr Wooler said the initial fire was dealt with by a market worker with a fire extinguisher before crews arrived.

He said it had burnt some of the ceiling tiles in one of the units.


Doug Thomson
Huddersfield Town correspondent
Chris Roberts
Huddersfield Giants correspondent
Louise Cooper
Crime correspondent
Nick Lavigueur
Health Correspondent
Joanne Douglas
Local Government Correspondent
Linda Whitwam
Education Correspondent
Henryk Zientek
Business Correspondent
Martin Shaw
Mirfield Correspondent