A HUDDERSFIELD drug addict died of an overdose, including quinine pills belonging to a friend's mother.
A Huddersfield inquest yesterday heard how James Stuart O'Hara, 35, died on February 6 last year after taking the pills at the friend's home.
Mr O'Hara, of Poplar Street, Moldgreen, was known to have used amphetamine, heroin, glue and solvents.
A post-mortem showed he had lethal levels of quinine and methadone in his blood, along with lesser amounts of diazepam and amphetamine.
He was also on medication to treat mental health problems, diagnosed in 1994.
Due to his drug abuse, he had to take his medication under supervision. But he stopped attending appointments early in 2004.
At 1pm on February 6 that year he met friends at a pub. After 20 minutes, one suggested they go to his home nearby.
They smoked, talked and played music. But Mr O'Hara was agitated, mumbling to himself and walking up and down the stairs. He went in the kitchen, broke a glass and lay on the floor before going upstairs.
His friends found Mr O'Hara on a bed, conscious but mumbling.
The friend whose house it was saw some of his mother's quinine pills had been taken.
Mr O'Hara died in Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
The official cause of death was recorded as quinine overdose.
Deputy coroner Mark Hinchcliffe recorded a verdict of death from abuse of drugs.