HEALTH inspectors shut a takeaway and restaurant because of an infestation of rats in the cellar, Huddersfield magistrates heard.
Mr Geoff Bell, prosecuting on behalf of Kirklees Council, said environmental health inspectors immediately closed the Ali-Murad restaurant at Old Wakefield Road, Moldgreen, following a visit on June 28 last year.
Mr Bell said it was obvious to the inspector that there was an infestation of rats in the cellar because of the existence of droppings.
This was confirmed when she found a rat trapped behind one of the bags of rice.
She was also concerned about the general level of cleanliness.
Because of the potential risk to human health, the sacks of rice were surrendered to the environmental health officer and destroyed.
Mr Bell said that in the four following days, the premises were fully cleaned and decorated.
The restaurant was allowed to reopen on July 2.
Owner Mohammed Tahir Javed, 30, of Rydal Drive, Dalton, pleaded guilty to having unfit premises.
He also admitted failing to ensure that stored food was protected against contamination and failing to keep the premises clean and in good repair.
He was fined £150 for each of the three offences and ordered to pay £494.26 in court costs.
Mr Andrew Sugden, for Javed, said his client had run the restaurant for 10 years.
It had been run by his family for 20 years and there had never been any trouble with environmental health inspectors before.
The premises had since been overhauled to make sure that the problem did not re-occur and they now enjoyed "hospital" cleanliness.