AN electrical fire beneath a Golcar pavement melted the road surface despite sub-zero temperatures overnight.
Fire crews were called to Scar Lane, outside Golcar Clinic, at 6.20am this morning.
Passers-by had reported seeing sparks coming from the pavement.
Fire Service watch manager Simon Dennett said: "When we got there flames were coming out of the pavement."
Fire crews closed the road between Sycamore Avenue and the Junction pub while electricity workers isolated the supply.
Mr Dennett added: "The main electricity cable was next to an inspection chamber.
"It seems as though when the chamber has been fitted this has damaged the main cable and over time this has led to the fire.
"This type of fire is very rare. It had melted through the tarmac.
"We made the decision to close the road off partly because the metal cover to the chamber could have become a projectile if the fire worsened."
Fire crews used powder to put out the blaze.