AN elderly couple have been battling with British Gas ever since their shower blew up a month ago.
Austin and Kate Myall, of Springwood Hall Gardens, Springwood, had had problems with their electricity "tripping" for a few days before the explosion.
The couple pay £423 a year for a British Gas Home Care Agreement, which covers them for servicing and repairing gas and electrical appliances.
They rang British Gas and an electrician was sent to the house to sort out the "tripping".
He said they had a problem with an electrical appliance, but he had not got anything with him to test them.
A few days later - just after Mr Myall had had a shower - the unit blew up.
"There was a bright flash, a very loud bang and a strong smell of burning," said Mr Myall, 74, a former Merchant Navy sailor.
Mrs Myall said: "It could have been very dangerous as he was standing in water."
The couple have received four visits from British Gas electricians, but each say they do not know what is causing the problem.
Mr Myall added: " I suffer from pains in my knee joints and have difficulty getting in and out of the bath. So I prefer to shower.
"It is weeks since I reported that my shower was burned out - but nothing has been done."
Mrs Myall, a retired Huddersfield Technical College lecturer, said: "We are old and need to have things working right.
"The Home Care Agreement is a lot of money - but we thought we would feel secure with it. Now I would not advise anyone to join."
British Gas spokeswoman Jo Frost said: "We are truly sorry for the delay and inconvenience.
"The local manager, a qualified electrician, is visiting them to get to the bottom of the problem, which is being sorted out as a matter of urgency."