The Examiner's Save Huddersfield A&E Battle Bus hit the road today — and got a truly inspiring reception.
Lots of you came out to see us as we spread the world about the fight to save HRI A&E and the public consultation on the Right Care, Right Time, Right Place propsals.
We drove from Examiner HQ to the town centre, Holme Moss, Slaithwaite and of course to HRI — and experienced some fantastic moments along the way
10 amazing moments from the Examiner Battle Bus
1) Hitting the road
Our day of action didn't start exactly as planned — because our Battle Bus was stuck on the M62, in queues cause by roadworks that caused chaos for commuters this morning.
But it didn't dampen our spirits — when the bus arrived we were raring to go.
2) We visited Huddersfield Town
We paid a visit to PPG Canalside, where Huddersfield Town were training — and they were keen to back the #HandsOffHRI campaign! The first team players took a break from training to make this fantastic campaign video for us — clive above to watch.
3) Students came out to sign
We drove to the Unversity of Huddersfield campus and took petition signatures from students, staff and shoppers!
Huddersfield's Student Union were slightly late to the party but made up for it in style:
4) You had your say at St George's Square
Plenty of people came to see the Battle Bus in St George's Square, as well as sign the petition, take posters, leaflets and stickers and made some noise about the campaign! We asked you what you thought of the Right Care Right Time Right Place proposals and you had your say.
Harold backed our campaign too:
5) Campaigners called for action
The public consultation has begun — and we want to ensure everyone makes their voice heard in the coming weeks. In St George's Square, #HandsOffHRI campaigners rallied the crowds to have their say, and explained the next step of the fight to save Huddersfield A&E.
6) We took on Holme Moss
This afternoon we tackled the mighty Holme Moss in our Battle Bus — and made it to the top! It was freezing at the top, but a hardy band of protesters were waiting there for us, keen to support the campaign and chant #HandsOffHRI from one of the highest points of Huddersfield!
7) We met a singing dog in Slaithwaite
Meet Phoebe, the Cocker Spaniel who is not happy about proposals for Huddersfield's A&E and Slaithwaite Health Centre. Dressed up to meet the Battle Bus, Phoebe certainly knew how to make a noise about #HandsOffHRI!
8) Dr Paul Wilding backed our Battle Bus
Dr Wilding's not only concerned about the future of Huddersfield A&E — he's also got the future of Slaithwaite Health Centre to worry about. Dr Wilding was kind enough to come out and speak to our Battle Bus team in Slaithwaite — click above to hear what he thinks about the hospital shake-up and more.
9) We took the fight to HRI
No Battle Bus tour would be complete without a stop at the hospital we're fighting for — and so we ended our day at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. To make sure we didn't block anyone trying to reach the hospital, we parked over the road in the Nightingale pub.
10) We're doing it all again tomorrow!
That's right — the Battle Bus returns tomorrow for another day of campaigning.
We're back on the road at 8am for another day of petition signature-collecting, chanting, picture-taking and more — come and see us!
Here's tomorrow's route:
- 8am - Set off from Examiner HQ
- 8.20am - Calderdale Royal Hospital
- Stops at Haighs Farm Shop, Mirfield, Perrys in Huddersfield, Gardinia Windows in Leeds Road, Vanilla Hair Design in Moldgreen, Holme Bed Supplies in Honley, Deluxe Beds in Lockwood, Ready Vision in Lockwood, Bramleys, Jowett Chartered Surveyors, Whitegates and The County, all in the town centre.
- 12.20pm - St George's Square
- 1.30pm - Huddersfield Giants Training Centre, Red Doles Lane, Huddersfield
- 2pm - Slaithwaite Town Hall
- Visits to Strongbow Window Systems, Leeds Road, Yorkshire Carpets in Fartown, Walker Timber in Birkby, Donaldson Vets in Birchencliffe, Quarry Garage and the White Swan in Outlane, Easy Fireplace in Milnesbridge, Colne Valley Garden Centre, Simply Solids in Linthwaite and Longley Park in Paddock.