AN elderly man and a friend were saved from harm by a smoke detector. They had put the grill on at the man's ground-floor flat on Thornes Park in Rastrick, but then fallen asleep in the living-room shortly before 10pm last night. They were woken by the detector, which had been triggered by the smoke, and managed to douse the pan before firefighters arrived. The flat was only slightly smoke-damaged. Brighouse fire station Watch Manager Mick Holbrook said: "This is a good example of the importance of smoke detectors. If it had not gone off so early it could have been a far more severe fire."
Saved from fire
AN elderly man and a friend were saved from harm by a smoke detector.