FIREFIGHTERS have condemned a fire at a high school as “foolish’’ – and revealed it was sheer luck the flames did not sweep through the building.
They hit out after a kiln had been left on full at Rastrick High .
By 8.15pm it was so hot that cardboard stacked against it caught fire.
That triggered the fire alarm and luckily the premises manager was still in the school and went to investigate.
She bravely dragged the burning cardboard out through a fire door.
Crew Manager Alex MacFarlane from Brighouse fire station said: “If no-one had been in the building the fire could have taken hold and tracked up to the false ceiling. If that had happened the consequences could have been disastrous.
“The premises manager acted promptly and bravely.’’
The classroom was badly smoke-logged and the kiln was damaged by the blaze.