CHILDREN at Scapegoat Hill Junior and Infant School were back in class today after two gas leak evacuations.
The school caretaker first smelled gas on Friday and pupils were moved into Scapegoat Hill Baptist Church while gas engineers traced the leak.
A kitchen appliance was found to be the source. It was repaired and children were allowed back into school.
Head teacher Mr Keith Shilton said the children returned yesterday but the caretaker could still smell gas.
"This time we sent children home and called gas engineers to have another look because the school has oil-fired heating and the only gas we use is in the kitchen and they had looked at that on Friday," he said.
Engineers eventually found an old gas pipe in the playground which had started leaking.
Mr Shilton said: "It has now been capped off properly and though there is a hole in the playground the children are back at school today and hopefully the problem is now sorted."